Aug 29, 2010

“STRIPPING”

Hah! Let’s see how many hits that gets.  Remember the STRIPS I cut from my FREE DOORS STUPID?

IMG_1024

Well, I used them. It all started with this…

DSC05241

That’s right, I knocked over an almost full gallon of paint on my bedroom floor. So I scooped up as much as I could and grabbed a roller and started spreading it around.  Fortunately it was on the sub-floor which I was planning on painting anyway, but  I didn’t like the way it looked so I thought, and thought and thunked and came up with this….

DSC05244 That’s right, I started nailing down my strips to the floor. The doors that I cut the strips from were made of masonite so  it’s pretty tuff stuff. I cut my strips into different lengths and used popsicle sticks as spacers.

DSC05273 After it was all down I primed it with some of my free primer…

DSC05282

At this point I was pretty much doing the happy dance all over because I have always wanted painted floors but never have lived in a home that had a wood floor.

Next I painted it it all with a coat of antique white. Then I started marking off squares with a pencil…

DSC05302

It’s kind of hard to see but you don’t want it to be too dark…

DSC05301

Then the fun begins. Making tape...

DSC05304

You have to tape each square separately. Remember I am doing this bedroom without spending any money so I found several part-rolls of different tape.

DSC05306

Then I painted alternating squares a very light aqua…

DSC05308

Now I am really doing the happy dance. I begin calling strangers in off the street to see it. I send pictures to my kids and friends. I want to do this…

IMG_1097

I have to force myself to let it dry overnight. Then I took off the tape…

DSC05317

And Voilà…

DSC05318

Well word began to travel and before you know it I had a house full of family to see it and since by bed is in the living room…

DSC05332

They all piled on to help me do the happy dance. (This is only a third of my brood.) Anyway we had to christen it with a sleep-over…

DSC05335

My daughter’s Mother-in-Law who is Haitian say’s that if your youngest sleeps with it’s butt in the air, then it is time for another one…

DSC05339

So get busy Bekah!

Anyway, back to the floor. After removing the tape and having a spontaneous party I sanded it to make it look a little more aged…

DSC05325

DSC05326

Then I very lightly rubbed some stain around the edges of each square…

DSC05344

DSC05345

And the final step… Pour a whole gallon of Spar Urethane on it and spread it around evenly and work backwards towards the door…

DSC05355 It has to cure for twenty four hours before you walk on it so you may as well give up any hope of talking on your phone if you leave it on the windowsill across the room…

Image1

Clear across the room!!!

PS… I posted my plight on Facebook and my knight in shining armor (my youngest son, Caleb) dropped what he was doing as soon as he read it and came over to get it for me from the outside.

31 comments:

Elaine D said...

Well, who would ever have thought that one of us would become a stripper?!!! Love the floor, by the way!

Granny said...

You should be very proud of yourself. That floor is amazing. I would never have thought of something like that.

Robin said...

that is amazing! I love the technique you did with the aging...looks great! Leaving the phone on the window sill.......so like something I would do!

Lee Ann L. said...

I started following you some time ago (can't remember exactly when). I have to comment that I am in absolute awe...

I wound have never thought of doing that with doors. How cool is that?!?!?

Unknown said...

OK....Will you come visit????? I have a gallon ot two of paint I can spill! You are amazing!!!!! I just can't believe how perfect this came out!!!!! I wish I had your energy, yet alone your talent! :):) Sandy

Lori said...

cool floor!

NanaDiana said...

That is just a wonderful job! I love the floor! And...I love your family. That's what life is really all about in the end, anyway, isn't it? I hope the neighbors brought food!>) Diana

Mimi Sue said...

You are such a show off!! Where do you ever come up with this stuff?? Can I come over to see it in person? Next time you have a slumber party don't forget to invite me. Dave's going to California for 5 weeks. Woohoo. Mimi

Brandi Nell said...

My goodness, this looks AMAZING! I know it had to take forever to do - but it is definitely worth it.

Now, do you want to come to my house? :)

xoxo,
Brandi Nell

Katie said...

Brilliant!!! That is a great job!

Maria said...

Looks like all that stripping really payed off this time. Really neat!

Debby said...

Wow, it looks great. The phone, yep, I've done that before.

::cottage instincts:: said...

good night, I was hoping for some skin. But seriously, I'm lusting over that floor treament in a big way! How did you cut those strips from the hollow core doors? I'm super impressed, and it looks amazingly fabulous. You're gettin a feature. That's all there is to it.

BTW, wanna know what I had to type for word verification? 'likerog'

peace,
cindy

Unknown said...

WOW! what an amazing job you did! come on over and link up to MMM :)

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi! I just came over from Granny J's blog. And I am so glad I did! this is absolutely brillant! Fantastic job! Okay, now I need to go sign up as a follower to see what else you come up with!

Have a great day!

Proper Prim said...

STUNNING... I just popped in from Granny J... I am so impressed with your talents... I would have never thought to do that.

I have always wanted a painted floor too... now you put that bug in my ear again. Now I am thinking which room could I do that to. I am off to check out your other posts. Great job.

Hugs, Deb

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

That's pretty amazing! What ever made you think of taking them apart and cutting them into strips? Oh...I'm a new follower.

Jannell said...

Cool. It is amazingly like the paint job I did on my subfloor 15 years ago, although I did not tape it off. I just painted the sqares freehand with the pencil lines. Worked great. I used paint recommended for cement and did not urethane it. My husband thinks it looks old, but not in a good way. He has always wanted to paint/carpet it over. I still like it. Reminds me of an old farm kitchen floor. We just put new rugs and furniture in our room, and will probably paint it over, when we decide what we want to do. (That means it is probably safe for a few more years-it takes us forever to decide those things! TEE Hee!) You can peek at it a little under the new rug at my blog artteajannell.blogspot.com. The post is called "Grown Up".

Prior said...

Visiting from Granny J...We were stationed at Hill for 10 years.

That floor is so awesome, really I don't know how to say how amazing it is~ I have wood floors I want to paint...

so perfect!
Lezlee

Stella said...

Are you doing all these work ? The floors look fantastic.

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE it! How clever of you to make your own floor strips. And the finish is downright beautiful.
Granny J sent me over to check it out, so glad she did!

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

awesome floor!!!

Krista said...

This is incredible. I love it! Great job!

Stephanie@cre8tive said...

Just saw this at Tatertos and Jello, what an amazing transformation you did! I loved your story telling too, very entertaining. It looks wonderful. I am going to join you in the happy dance!

Kim said...

Oh my word, I'm enjoying your posts! Love how completely thrifty you're being about this re-do! A girl after my own heart :)

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

The floor is fantastic! I wish I had a floor to paint like that. I love the colors too. I'm going to have to see if I can find the post about cutting up the strips!

Lyndsey said...

Wow, it's so beautiful! I can't believe you did that on a whim! What a lovely family you have too. I'm a new follower from SNS.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Wow, This is fabulous! Love the floor.

Sawdust Girl said...

This looks amazing and I had so much fun reading your post and seeing the pic of the kids jumping off the roof onto the trampoline. Exactly what we did growing up! Love your floors and the fact that you went totally outside the box in order to get the look you wanted. I've been pondering the idea of cutting strips of thin wood to create the look of wood planks...for something else. Great job!

Unknown said...

I am doing this to my floor so I can happy dance! It's gorgeous!

Holly Lefevre said...

This is absolutely fabulous. What a great project what a great look. I think I need to do this somewhere...I am on the hunt now!